Stuck in a Furrow

Monday, March 03, 2008

Auntie

Have you ever had your eyebrows waxed?

There is that day when you look in the mirror and realize that your brows are starting to look a bit unkept. You wait a few more, trying to delay the unavoidable pain of the tweezers. To tweeze or to wax, that is the question. Soon you are shocked to discover that what used to be thin and flattering eyebrows have become a wild jungle of unruly hair and waxing must be done. You make the decision and book the an appointment. No biggie.

The day comes and you are slightly anxious and a bit nervous and your palms are sweaty. You know it is for the best but you still dread it. You sit in the chair, close you eyes tight and wait for the inevitable ripping motion and stinging. There may even be tears. The whole process takes about 2.7 minutes and you are done and ready to move on. The redness will disappear and the slight swelling will do down and you tell youself it wasn't that bad and you'd do it again, if need be.

I decided that moving away is like having your eyebrows waxed. And I don't want to do it again.

It was hard to leave family and friends behind, pack up my life in Calgary and head out to the lower mainland. I cried randomly throughout those packing days and goodbye parties. I'm glad that I didn't have to do it alone though and it is nice that those we love back home are truly only a phone call away. (or a Westjet flight!) I still call Calgary home but slowly Abbotsford is becoming more familiar and I'm sure in time, it will be home. I'm not going to lie, it has been lonely and quiet and a bit stressful with only 1 paycheck for the first few weeks but we've survived and I think our relationship is stronger for it.

The job is going well and this week, I get the amazing experience of gettng to be on tour with the African Children's Choir. The children are precious and the staff is so welcoming. I was nervous and anxious and contemplated not going but I'm glad I put on my big-girl panties and did it anyways. Last night, the children were in the concert and I was "observing" and it felt like I was exactly where I was supposed to be. I don't mean at the chuch in Nanaimo or even just with the choir for this week but that this job was the job for me and wasn't really, just a job. It is with the organization that I have nothing but respect for and I truly love what they do and what they stand for. And who can deny that these children are going to change the face of Africa? This job has been a long time coming and finally, the timing feels right.

There is no greater feeling than being called Auntie.
posted by Crystal at 3:10 PM

2 Comments:

Change is hard but I am very happy for you!

3:23 PM  

Auntie, auntie, auntie, auntie, auntie, auntie, auntie!

Bring back memories of a particular loud speaker at YC a few years back?

I think you're an Auntie through and through! And as much as I miss calling you to meet for lunch at Timmies, or our Wentworth and Tea nights, I completely believe you are where you're supposed to be right now. And I can't wait for these 6 more sleeps to be finished until I get to see you!

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home